Tuesday, September 10, 2013

An attacking game within my limits

Keeping in mind that I have to attack constantly to stand any chance of winning, I decided that the first thing I needed was a good AND reliable service. And quite simply, a service sequence that I can literally do to get the ball into the court with some sting even if I'm half-asleep. And that is NOT an exaggeration by any means.

When my blood sugar starts to fall, I start to slow down mentally more quickly than I do physically. And if I don't realise that it's happening, then I quickly lose focus and any sense of play or intelligence as well. It's like standing in the court waiting to play with my mind shutting down and out.

So, from now on, I'm going to take a leaf out of Stefan Edberg's book and focus on playing a good topspin serve with enough sting to prevent my opponent from whacking the ball away for a winner but with enough safety margin to go over the net and into the court regularly no matter how tired I might be or how low my blood sugar falls. And that's just the first thing I have to change. I'll also have to think about how to place the ball for best strategic effect AND when I can actually hit a flatter, more aggressive serve and what I need to do after I serve. But this is all just starting and my game is in transition at the moment so here's to a future of better tennis for me...





No comments:

Post a Comment